Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sattvic Meal #1


One of the biggest concerns a lot of people have expressed regarding this Sattvic Diet Challenge is, "What am I supposed to do when I go out to eat?" While I can't speak for any other areas in the country, I do think those of us in the Ann Arbor area are extremely fortunate! Yesterday to ring in the New Year, my good friend and I went to a restaurant on Liberty St. Seva's offers really delicious vegetarian food at a relatively reasonable price.

The entire menu was full of yummy-choices, but everything except for one dish had loads of garlic and onions. The picture above is of the only purely Sattvic meal I was able to find: Basil Pesto with Mozarella cheese and one slice of tomato on whole wheat bread. Since potatoes are considered too starchy for the Sattvic tradition, I opted to order a side of steamed broccoli instead of the standard French Fries.

This is a super simple meal that is easy to re-create in the comfort of your own kitchen! To make the basil pesto sauce simply grind fresh basil leaves (I have basil plants all year round) with olive oil, salt and some pine nuts. You can either grill or toast the whole wheat bread and mozarella and tomatoes should be available all year round at all grocery stores.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment