Sunday, March 6, 2011

Memo to self: Eat to live.

Namaste Everyone!
My great friends, Jana and Ian, often joke that everyone should go on the "Roshani Diet." Another name for the same regimen, is the "See Food Diet." Basically, if you see food, you eat it. I must confess I am exactly like The Cookie Monster on Sesame Street. I eat any and everything in sight. On weekends, you can find me sprawled out on my parent's couch-- lifeless-- in a complete food coma. It's really quite a pathetic sight.

So, when my good friend, Jonathan, sent me this link, it really functioned as a great reminder of how I really should change my approach with food:



The narrator's words at the very beginning of the clip, "Distinguishing dinner from danger is an essential life skill," really ring true to me. Granted, unlike the Venezuelan boy, Orlando, I do not have to sift through leaves to find the perfect spider to roast, I do think those of us living in America are very much in danger when it comes to our eating habits. All too often we consume "foods" with no expiration dates laced with so much sugar and salt, it's no wonder Heart Disease is the leading killer of women in the United States.

In many ways I am such a foodie at heart, I truly do live to eat. This video has reminded me of the actual purpose of food. In the days to come, I invite you to join me for a week-long challenge: eat to live. Quite simply: if you absolutely don't need to consume something, (i.e sugar-based cookies/deserts/etc.) don't. Let's start this challenge on Monday, March 7th and end it Monday, March 14th.

I will be blogging my "Food Journal" and I invite you to either post your entires in the comments section or e-mail them to me:
t a k e f i v e y o g a @ g m a i l . c o m (omit spaces).

Wishing you all the best!
Roshani

No comments:

Post a Comment