Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mad About Mastectomies!

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.”
~Kahlil Gibran

Less than 24 hours after publishing my latest Newsletter for the month of March I've already gotten some very colorful messages about a special I'm hosting this Friday evening.

"Mad About Mastectomies" is a topless Yoga class I'm having as a celebration of life! I have several clients who have overcome Breast Cancer by undergoing Mastectomies and these women inspire me on a daily basis. In Asheville I attended a Nude Yoga class and I left feeling not just naked, but almost exploited. I felt like everyone in the class was ranking one another... like it were a meat market and not a Yoga class. This is the exact opposite intention of Friday night's class.

People who have undergone Mastectomies might not want to participate because I, myself, have never had Breast Cancer. If that is the case, let me reassure you, there is a reason I quote Kahlil Gibran's statement about scars on a daily basis. When I was 19 years old I went through a life-changing skin-grafting procedure that left my torso looking more like a map than your typical body. I have scars that run deep like the bloodlines of my Warrior Women-kin who have battled the fight of their lives victoriously. I may not know what Breast Cancer feels like, but I understand that weekly trips to the doctor's office, constant injections, loss of appetite, lack of faith, a sense of isolation... overcoming all of these elements are worthy of a triumphant festival in recognition of a life well-lived!

3 comments:

  1. This is indeed inspiring. Sharing private details is hardly easy, but by doing so, you are giving strength, and teaching us to find the common threads in the not-so-common experiences we all have is a great lesson to remind each other. Thanks for another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray not for wealth, I pray not for honors, I pray not for pleasures, or even the joys of poetry,I only pray that during all my life I may have love: that I may have pure love to love Thee!You are my brightest STAR, my greatest joy: for from joy all beings have come, by joy they all live, and unto joy they all return.
    We are blessed to have you in our lives. Thank you so much for sharing...cause caring is sharing. I am sorry that I am unable to attend, but, if I was in AA, I definitely would:)

    What a lovely coincidence for me I was reading the Upanishads,and here you are with this fabulously and courageously written blog.
    I salute to all my friends that have gone through tough times and are always smiling! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback you two!! I really appreciate such positive feedback :) Let me know if there are any topics you'd like to see blogged about in the future.

    ReplyDelete